June 08, 2016

Contour Shawl by The Crochet Project

Last week I shared with you my love of knitting shawls. Turns out I like to crochet shawls too!

Now I know what I SHOULD have been doing whilst waiting (im)patiently for the first of The Shawl Society pattern to be released (just one more sleep!!!). I should have been working on my pile of current WIPS. There's an almost done sock - it's the second one too! - in the pile, not to mention half a sweater for the 8yo, two blankets, one knit and one crochet squares*, a fingerless mitt (again, the second one) and a rag yarn pet bed for whichever cat deigns to use it. Not to mention the ongoing hexipuff mountain that is the Beekeepers Quilt...

I really should have got at least one of those off the needles.

But I didn't. Instead I started another new project. Another shawl. But this is crochet not knitting so it doesn't count. Right?

Let me just introduce you to The Crochet Project if you haven't come across this before. Founded by designers Kat Goldin and Joanne Scrace (aka Not So Granny), The Crochet Project's main aim is to create and promote beautiful, wearable designs and they have certainly achieved that, publishing four beautiful books so far. Contour Shawl is their latest pattern and was released into the wild just in time for the bank holiday weekend - I think I spotted it on Instagram and instantly fell in love! I knew that it would be the perfect project to tide me over (or the perfect avoidance tactic ref all the WIPS currently clamouring for my attention...)

I was very good - I had a good rummage through my stash BEFORE I purchased the pattern just to make sure I had something suitable in the right quantity as this shawl requires quite significant yardage and I wanted a project to start NOW not have to wait for more yarn to arrive. Luckily I had four balls of Drops Delight hidden away at the bottom of the box with the exact yardage requirements.


The pattern uses only 2 stitches with increases in the centre and at either end to create the interesting asymmetrical triangle - it's shaped like a giant tick! - and despite never having done either stitch before I was able to get into the swing of the pattern very quickly and had no need to constantly refer to the instructions after the first few rows. I do find crochet projects so much easier to pick up and put down when the mood/opportunity arises as the need to 'finish this row' is much less pressing - perfect for a busy bank holiday weekend with family - but I surprised myself with just how quickly the shawl grew! I even took it to the cinema (Angry Birds no less. Ah the joy of half term movies...) and managed to hook a couple of rows. In the dark. Without making ANY mistakes!
Crochet, coffee, cat. What Sundays were made for!
Anyhow, my Contour Shawl was finished over the half term week and has served it's purpose of satisfying my need to start a new project and keeping my hands occupied before the Shawl Society kicks off. It's been blocked to within an inch of it's life and is looking beautiful. Unfortunately it's just too darn hot to wear it right now so I will have to make do with showing it off here until the Great British Summer does it's usual thing of sodding off just as we are getting into it!



The Knitty-Gritty
I hooked up my Contour Shawl using 4 x 50g skeins of Drops Delight in Autumn Forest colourway using a 4mm hook. I managed to get an extra row on my shawl than the pattern states and pretty much used up all the yarn. The pattern is available through Ravelry and costs £3.00




*actually when I look through my Ravelry projects I see there is a third blanket stashed away that has been ignored for far too long as well. Oops.

1 comment:

  1. It looks lovely. I'm looking for a new project now I've finished hubby's jumper. Although I do have a pair of pink sparkly socks on my needles and I'm pattern testing for Mrs Daft Spaniel at the moment.

    ReplyDelete

subscribe

Follow